All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.

All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.
I know a lawyer who will eat your face off if you use any of my stuff without prior written permission from me. Thank you.
"It would have to shine. And burn. And be / a sign of something infinite and turn things
and people nearby into their wilder selves / and be dangerous to the ordinary nature of
signs and glow like a tiny hole in space / to which a god presses his eye and stares.
Or her eye. Some divine impossible stretch / of the imagination where you and I are one."

An excerpt from "Something New under the Sun" from Steve Scafidi's Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Poem: "Stir" (For Leigh P.)

Stir


Next

to you in the


green blue-

grass, I could


almost trust

that we


had sunk

deep


into the flesh

of some other


Kentucky.

But in this


light of not quite

mourning,


when I wake, blue-

faced and buried


beneath your bed

of thin nails,


I have become

nothing


more than skin,

ten half-


moons, blue

memory.


*****************


I've included this poem here for my friend, Leigh, because I know she's been concerned with some of her work in and of couplets and has been grappling with craft. I wrote this poem during a very rough time in my life. My marriage was falling apart; I was trying to get through a difficult and demanding graduate program; I was trying to be a good mother for my young son; I was just in the beginning of what would be a horrible and all-consuming, years-long struggle with serious alcoholism. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I actually came out on the other side of all that. But, hey, we've all got our battle scars... Right?

3 comments:

  1. Spaces in poems so wide you can fall into depth and live there.

    To the Blank Spaces

    by W. S. Merwin
    For longer than by now I can believe
    I assumed that you had nothing to do
    with each other I thought you had arrived



    whenever that had been

    more solitary than single snowflakes
    with no acquaintance or understanding
    running among you guiding your footsteps



    somewhere ahead of me

    in your own time oh white lakes on the maps
    that I copied and gaps on the paper
    for the names that were to appear in them



    sometimes a doorway or

    window sometimes an eye sometimes waking
    without knowing the place in the whole night
    I might have guessed from the order in which



    you turned up before me

    and from the way I kept looking at you
    as though I recognized something in you
    that you were all words out of one language



    tracks of the same creature



    ------------------------------
    How space and silence can gather us into the center of itself and that's where we get okay.

    I don't write right now. But there are spaces. I'm looking at them now, chiseled, the statue free from the stone, lovely.

    Something kind in all of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. (Your poem, but the previous commment, too.)I love the waking in the "light of not quite mourning" and those "ten half-moons, blue memory."

    It's gorgeous and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Logan: I dreamt of you last night. Space and silence, interlaced like fingers. They will hold water, and water hones stone.

    @Lori: "Gorgeous and moving." I am blushing and flattered. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete