All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.

All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.
I know a lawyer who will eat your face off if you use any of my stuff without prior written permission from me. Thank you.
"It would have to shine. And burn. And be / a sign of something infinite and turn things
and people nearby into their wilder selves / and be dangerous to the ordinary nature of
signs and glow like a tiny hole in space / to which a god presses his eye and stares.
Or her eye. Some divine impossible stretch / of the imagination where you and I are one."

An excerpt from "Something New under the Sun" from Steve Scafidi's Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Inspired by Gertrude Stein...

I love Gertrude Stein, not because she was a lesbian and an expatriate, although lesbians and expatriates rank high on my admiration list. I love Gertrude Stein because she was imaginative, inventive; she challenges. She challenges and far surpasses any boundary of what is (or was) considered “mainstream.” Tender Buttons is to me, to this day, an inspiring work of literary art. Both of these poems were born of Tender Buttons, and one even borrows from it.

Servings

…and it is wet wet weather wet weather wet.
             Gertrude Stein, Tender Buttons


Asparagus in a lean in a lean to hot
and the steam rises; sequent
torsos stretch to the light
pull of the dusty stove fan.
Its heat and red-hot rim,
an exposed eye, hold me.
Those bodies weeping, bleed
kelly green, harmonic
bend of tired spines press
against the steel pot, stainless.
This makes it art, found
in a life so grown from dirt.

**********************************

Dreaming of Gertrude Before Morning Comes

Short days and nights shorter still and
still is night when I no longer write the cycle
begins again and again again and then I wake just
wanting to take a lover and no belongings but this longing to run away.

2 comments:

  1. I like it, a little rhyme...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely. I like the unexpected nature of the "kelly green" following "bleed." You might expect "red," or the crimson of blood, and get instead the green of the plant--gorgeous. I like, too, that you've taken such an unlikely subject--asparagus--and made it so beautiful. It's a photograph in words, which is what a poem should be.

    ReplyDelete