All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.

All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.
I know a lawyer who will eat your face off if you use any of my stuff without prior written permission from me. Thank you.
"It would have to shine. And burn. And be / a sign of something infinite and turn things
and people nearby into their wilder selves / and be dangerous to the ordinary nature of
signs and glow like a tiny hole in space / to which a god presses his eye and stares.
Or her eye. Some divine impossible stretch / of the imagination where you and I are one."

An excerpt from "Something New under the Sun" from Steve Scafidi's Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Poem: "Displaced December"

Displaced December


The birds pick seeds

from the feeder

faster than I can fill it.

The trees have lost

their leaves—rich autumn

berries eaten,

but the spirits of spring

still haunt, stubborn

Southern winds still speak.

In late morning, they curl

fingers around bare arms,

taunt with whispers that slip

between grass-teeth, unnatural

green. The heated breath

consumes me, a flash without fire.


****************************


In light of all the traditional winter weather we're experiencing this 2009-2010 season, I thought I'd take you back to Winter 2001. I distinctly remember feeling very discombobulated while filling up the bird feeders on a December morning. I wore an old pair of clam diggers, a short-sleeved t-shirt, and flip flops, and it was winter in the Mid-Atlantic.

1 comment: