All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.

All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.
I know a lawyer who will eat your face off if you use any of my stuff without prior written permission from me. Thank you.
"It would have to shine. And burn. And be / a sign of something infinite and turn things
and people nearby into their wilder selves / and be dangerous to the ordinary nature of
signs and glow like a tiny hole in space / to which a god presses his eye and stares.
Or her eye. Some divine impossible stretch / of the imagination where you and I are one."

An excerpt from "Something New under the Sun" from Steve Scafidi's Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer


Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daylight Savings…

I admit that I am sensitive: to words, to actions, to energies. I am a Cancer. We are, by nature, sensitive to all things almost to a fault, and shifts in time, at least for me, are not excluded. Last night, most clocks “sprung” forward an hour, just one hour. And in the grander scheme of things, what is an hour, really? Right? But that loss of an hour to my circadian rhythm is the equivalent of a day. Perhaps, even, more like a week.

I woke up this morning with this inner nagging that I was missing something. And it seemed like I was missing so much more than an hour. That hour could have been spent with a chapter or two of a good book, a cup of spearmint tea too hot to drink, in the arms of my lover as we contemplate all the promises of spring: grass growing greener day by day, buds emerging on the lilac bushes, sprouts on the sugar maple despite its dying from the inside out.

I must make a concerted effort not to squander so much of my time.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite poems ever written…

****************************************************

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

by James Wright

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year’s horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

7 comments:

  1. Whatever you want to do, do it now. For life is time, and time is all there is....Gloria Steinem(1987)commencement speech. Tufft univ.
    <3...very well done, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is AMAZING. You really are such a graceful writer with a clarified, elegant voice.

    Sweet Lord, that is a gorgeous little poem. Thanks for sharing -- I've never really read any James Wright, other than his anthologized stuff. Shame, shame, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you have no idea how much your support is keeping me in decent spirits.

    And EPo, thank you so very much! What a wonderful compliment, especially considering how much I trust in and value your beyond well-read opinions. I'm flattered (and a little embarrassed, I think)... Of course, the Wright poem comes to us courtesy of our favorite Lyric Poetry prof. with the unruly, auburn halo of hair! Without her and that class, I would have missed out on a lot a incredible poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say, Michele, you really do know how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Agnes! Sometimes, I feel like writing is the only thing that sews patches in my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Michele. I love the description of the things you could have been doing during that lost hour. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lori. If anything at all, I am on a life-quest for truth, and, sometimes, ugly truth is chock-full of beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete