All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.

All Images and Text Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Michele Marie Summerlin Shimchock. All rights reserved.
I know a lawyer who will eat your face off if you use any of my stuff without prior written permission from me. Thank you.
"It would have to shine. And burn. And be / a sign of something infinite and turn things
and people nearby into their wilder selves / and be dangerous to the ordinary nature of
signs and glow like a tiny hole in space / to which a god presses his eye and stares.
Or her eye. Some divine impossible stretch / of the imagination where you and I are one."

An excerpt from "Something New under the Sun" from Steve Scafidi's Sparks from a Nine-Pound Hammer


Friday, September 3, 2010

The Importance of Stuff, or The Day I Organized My Desk…

When you’ve moved as often as I have and when you’ve left so many possessions scattered across the country like little life seeds, so hopeless of ever again sprouting, you place greater value on the things that remain.

Wednesday, I made it my task to tidy up the small corners of our dining room that have inevitably become my spaces. It was no less than a nine hour undertaking. Admittedly, I work deliberately, but when it comes to my stuff, that task takes on a life of its own as I must carefully inspect, touch, open, shuffle, read, and remember.

I only took one before picture because, after I took a really good look at it, I was really embarrassed.

I am a Cancer-on-the-cusp-of-Gemini. I am sentimental. Stuff is important to me. Now, I am not materialistic, because this is a beast of an entirely different color. But the possessions that I keep actually mean something to me. This is Crabbie. Crabbie came out of one of my son’s Happy Meals, oh, about ten years ago. He gave it to me knowing nothing of astrology but simply because tie-dye is one of my very favorite things.

I have had this StoryPeople® computer printout for three years. It has been taped up in every office I’ve ever occupied in that time. If it were possible, I would wallpaper my home office (when and if I ever get finished with it) with computer printouts of all of my favorite StoryPeople® musings. And if I actually had, you know, money, I would buy the framed art and decorate each wall with all the colorful whimsy that is StoryPeople® art. But this particular musing, it means something to me. It is substantive.

And so it goes and goes…

I couldn’t possibly throw away this birthday card. Mom sent this to me, and it has wonderful possibilities for that collage I plan to begin sometime in the very near (read: distant) future. I couldn’t possibly throw this card away because mom sent it to me, and she took the time to write such a sweet and uplifting message. I couldn’t possibly throw this away because it might hurt her feelings. I CANNOT throw this card away because the very act of doing so smacks of betrayal (and my heart will surely crumble).

The same scenario played out in my head when I considered putting away the snow couple, also a gift from Mom, even though it is September and 98 degrees with 90 percent humidity and sweat was certainly trailing down between my boobs and pooling in my bellybutton at this point. Besides, Christmas is just around the corner, right? And the jiggling spring-legs amuse me.

The fact that my mother lives in San Francisco and that I am firmly planted in Virginia and very, very poor and can’t afford a plane ticket to go see her even though I haven’t seen her in three years also makes throwing said card in the trash or putting the snow couple to sleep in a drawer just seem like ridiculous and unnecessary guilt-inducing decisions.

Therefore, my tendency to accumulate stuff may very well border on the side of Hoarding. And while I am a very effective organizer in my professional life, I am much less so in my personal life. It’s almost as if my stuff is like the security blanket that I slept with until I was 21 years old and about to have a baby. It’s like my nest. Each piece of paper, knick knack, and poetry book, each curious item is like a thin pine needle tucked carefully into place.

To you, it looks disheveled. To me, it is comfortable home-heaven, a place where I rest my feathers just here, just so.

This toucan pen? It’s been to college and grad school with me. It was there when I was going through my divorce. That toucan pen is my friend.

That thing that looks like a tooth? It holds the molar that my son had to have extracted when he first got braces. And, yes, I do still have his umbilical cord. Don’t judge.

(In my own defense, I cannot tell you how many times I have said to myself. Self, if you only had [insert item here], you would have your answer, clarify this memory, solve said mystery.)

Unfortunately, I also share this space with this sad sack, Baxter the Very Bad Rescue Greyhound.  And he was a bit unnerved as I labored and shuffled his space all day long and into the night. Because, as you can clearly see, this is what was in his divine life plan—to lazy around all day, shuffling his beds into just the right position. He is a nester, too, and whoever thought Baxter was born to race was even more clearly a dumbass.

So getting organized meant that I also had to tackle the file cabinet, which was in its own State of Emergency. But where else was I going to put everything that I needed to keep? Posting a before photo of the file cabinet, however, would have produced a mad case of the itchy hives all over my body.

But this is what it looked like when I was finished.












You notice I only share with you three drawers. This is because one of the drawers belongs to MSG, and I am NOT messin’ with that shit. Not unless he is right there to guide me.




And he brings me random bouquets of flowers for such love and understanding.















For a day’s worth of work, nine hours to be exact, this is what I ended up with.

This.









And a grand sense of accomplishment.

7 comments:

  1. I hear you Michele :-)

    And you know, I really really like your wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It grows on you. :) And it works because the room is so big. The sad fact, though, is that this house is nearly 100 years old, so even if we wanted to remove the wallpaper like has been done in the rest of the rooms, it would take an overhaul of the original plaster. If you slide your hand along the corners, you can feel that the corners have crumbled to non-existence. That wallpaper is literally holding up the walls! But I've grown to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, so, sweet. The card...I loved it! Trully, wanted to read more. Great accomplishment, you have a lot of stuff. great pictures. I also like the wall paper...and I have a companion for that tucan. Thanks, honey for the mention. I love you very much and miss you greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, you'll likely grow out of this. In about 20 years. Maybe. Or not.

    Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are preaching to the choir sister.. I have moved a handful of times myself. I am shocked to still have a copy of "To kill a mocking bird" from the 8th grade with my childlike signature in the front cover and all the words I didn't understand underlined. I reread the book recently and discovered that I still didn't know a some of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go!!!

    (And...I've come to redirect you to my new site, as my old blog/id is closed and not connected to my new site/moniker. But I think you'll know it's "me!" :o)

    Lots of love,
    www.msadventuress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came over to your blog from Anita's. The name intrigued me--Prozac Daze. I'm thinking, what the heck is that all about? Then I realized it was PROSAIC Daze. I must be tired. Which explains why when I just finished reading your post about your trip to Paint Bank, I thought you were going to Point Blank. I'm thinking THAT sounds like an interesting place! lol

    Anyway, I also love your wallpaper. I like dark wallpaper expecially in 100-year-old houses.

    Your dog is the exact same color as my dog, Motley, aka The Big Stupid. He's also a rescue but not a greyhound.

    I have also moved around dozens of times. I probably lived in two dozen different places before I even got out of New Jersey, then Oklahoma, then Ferrum, VA, and now Penhook, Va. As soon as my farm sells, I'll be going back to Jersey again. I know what you mean about losing stuff along the way. So many times I suddenly remember something I used to have and am sorry I got rid of it for the move! I am also very sentimental about things. I can't throw anything away if someone gave it to me because I FEEL BAD. But I am very organized. My junk is in order.

    ReplyDelete